1) Update your carpet to a pale neutral colour or even better, get your natural wooden floor boards sanded. Andrew Wilkinson will sand and wax your boards in 1 or 2 days.
2) Consider getting a metal bed frame, you can pick one up for as little as £100 in cream or white or beige. A pale coloured rug, ideally in a pastel shade will also lift the room.
3) Swap your bedside cabinet for a vintage table, if you need two then un-matching ones are perfectly ok if they are similar styles or shapes. Metal or wooden tables are best and if they need a coat of paint get Andrew Wilkinson to do the job professionally.
4) Scour junk shops for a vintage mirror, if it needs painting you know the best man for the job. Also if your wardrobe looks dated then a lick of paint can bring it up to date.
5) Wall paper one wall only, the bed head wall. Look out for bird designs for a contemporary feel. This gives your room a feature without over powering it. Paint the rest of room neutral tying in with a colour from the wallpaper. Again, don’t attempt this job yourself.